"Habit is habit, and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time." ~ Mark Twain
My attempts at delving into meditation are, sadly, not progressing as quickly as I had hoped...first and foremost because I have barely had any time to stop moving over the last two weeks.
On the 11th, I left my job. This was a good thing - the situation there, in the midst of a merger, was deteriorating rapidly, and was harshly affecting morale. I was lucky to find another opportunity before I got laid off. But that left me in a transition period of trying to clean things up and finish things out - an obsessive perfectionist, I couldn't bear the idea of leaving anything undone, thereby hoisting it off on whomever was left behind. I also have a severe sense of loyalty, such that even though I disliked the position I was in and my direct supervisor, and even though I knew the position was ending shortly, and even though I knew I was heading to a dream job, I had a hard time making myself walk away.
A few short hours later, my friend and I were in the car and headed to Florida for his sister's wedding where he was serving as a groomsman and I was photographer. A 16-hour drive down, rehearsal dinner, a whirlwind wedding day/night, a day of family activities, and then an 18-hour drive home... we arrived home at 2:30 a.m. on Wednesday, and I started my new job a short 5 hours later. Working and sleeping absorbed the rest of the hours between then and now.
So, obviously, I haven't had much time to just sit and be still. I did take along my guided meditation podcasts and tried a couple of times to relax and listen with headphones in the car. But between getting caught in crazy traffic and it being the first quasi-vacation I've had in about 12 years, I was just too distracted.
I finally got some quiet time this morning. I didn't do the guided meditation this time, though. I put on some soft instrumental music, poured a hot cup of coffee, and just sat - eyes closed - basking in the warm morning sun pouring in through the patio door. It was short-lived... kids and dogs always need attention. But the sun was warm on my face, and just those few moments of quiet, still sleepy and thus not really letting my brain focus on anything yet, felt good. I have read that there is no right or wrong way to meditate; if that's true, I believe I may keep up my "Sunday morning coffee and sunshine" practice. It's a good way to start a weekend day.
Off to a slow start...
9:00 AM |
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






1 comments:
Good luck in your new dream job!
Post a Comment